If your building's fire alarm won't stop beeping, it's likely an indicator that there is an issue. Fire alarms are built to alert you when something has gone wrong to ensure you're safe and the alarm is in optimal condition. That's why it's so important to know how to react when you hear the system beep or chirp continuously.
In this blog, we will help you understand why your fire alarm may be making noise even though there isn't a fire. Then we will walk you through the steps you can take to fix the problem. If you're concerned there is a bigger issue then you should contact a fire protection company immediately.
Reasons Your Fire Alarm Won't Stop Beeping
Below are a few of the reasons that could cause your fire alarm to make noise even when there isn't a fire:
- There is dust or debris on the fire alarm
- The battery is loose or needs replaced
- The alarm is at the end of its life
- There are environmental issues (i.e. humidity or non-fire related smoke)
- There was an interference with the power source
How to Stop the Beeping
The best thing to do if your fire alarm won't stop beeping is to check the alarm for any issues, clean the alarm, then if all else fails, replace the system. We will walk you through how to go about these steps below.
Check for a Problem
Fire alarms are built to alert you when it's time to change the battery. This is for your safety and the preservation of the device.
To check for a problem:
- Inspect the alarm to see if the battery slot is loose or open.
- Check the battery pull-tab to ensure it's intact.
- Hit the Test or Reset button to check the battery level.
- Replace the battery if the noise continues.
Clean the Fire Alarm
It's very common for dust and debris to build up around the alarm. That's why it's important to clean the alarm on a regular basis.
To clean your fire alarm:
- Disconnect the alarm and remove the battery or power source.
- Vacuum or use compressed air to clean the gap between the front cover and backplate and the sensor chamber.
- Wipe down the rest of the alarm using a paper towel.
- Note: If your fire alarm is located in a room where a lot of dust accumulates then you should install an ionization alarm.
Replace the System
If the fire alarm noise persists and you can't find a problem then it may be time to replace the alarm. Luckily, it's easy and affordable to replace your fire alarm. Frontier Fire is happy to help you get a new alarm installed quickly and securely.
Contact an Expert
If your fire alarm won't stop beeping and you can't find the source then call in an expert fire protection technician. At Frontier Fire, we have a team of fire protection specialists that can help you resolve any of your protection related issues.
We have a Denver Metro and a Colorado Western Slope location in order to provide protection throughout the state. If you'd like to schedule an appointment, you can reach us at 303-629-0221 for our Denver office or 970-945-8735 for our Rifle, Colorado location.